Client: Virgin Experience Days
In late 2015 we took the decission to redesign the Virgin Experience Days website; start from a blank slate and approach everything as if we were starting out - whilst still taking in learnings from the previous site.
For this project I did all the creative, and also provided various codepen prototypes of code to assist our web development team.
We took on the challenge to start a fresh, trying to (as much as possible) forget about all those old bits and pieces that had been added on over the years to fix a problem here and there, to give us as much room as possible. This isn’t to say we completely disregarded them, but if we could solve the underlying issue one of them fixes were trying to make, there would be no need for that fix in the first place.
The previous site got made responsive with a bit of an afterthought, and wasn’t a great experience on mobile, so this was another one of our key points the redesign had to address. From the beginning we designed everything mobile first, ensuring we had all the critical information infront of the user, in a optimised page, then adding in features and more advanced layouts as the viewport grows.
We set ourselves some areas to really focus on and improve, including navigation and product listing
Navigation was changed to the more standard ‘mega nav’, enabling us to showcase more categories to the user, therefore allowing the customer to dial right into what they’re after, and leading to lower abandonment rates.
Product listing was changed to include a new ‘Grid View’ layout. One thing that showed up from both heatmaps and polls was that customers were wanting to see more products per page. The most clicked thing was the ‘next’ button. Switching to a Grid View enabled us to show 3 times as many products on a single screen compared to the listing view.
Checkout was one area we felt that worked fairly well on the old site, but could use some improvements to make it feel more secure. Adding lots of visual cues to hint at this with simple things such as a padlock icon on the checkout button, really helped make it feel this way.
We prototyped various different flows for the checkout and it's something we'd still like to explore with some a/b testing.
We also used a lot of data that was available to us to help with the redesign, nothing was built just for the sake of it. Using tools like Google Analytics, HotJar, and customer feedback, enabled us to get a wide range of insight into the issues people were facing with the site, and helped us prioritise what features were a must have.
I used Sketch for building out the designs for the new site, allowing for structured documents, with artboards and pages to have the entire website designed out in a single file was great. I then used Marvel to show visual demos of how it would look and gain feedback.
Results from the redesign have been really positive, improving conversion rate, and helping users more easily find what they're looking for.
One of the big aims of the redesign was to give ourselves a good platform to be able to test and refine upon, and is in a contstant state of improvement.